Thursday, September 15, 2016

My Review of the Diva Cup



Allow me to start with my experience first trying the Diva Cup.  If you simply want the review, scroll down to the second half.
I must have an oddly-shaped vagina.  I don’t say this from looking closely, but from my experience with my period.  Tampons just don’t work.  If anything they are a temporary dam that will soon flood the city.  Pads have been my only option, and even those have led to some disasters.  So when I started to hear about menstrual cups, my first thought was that they would never work for me.   Still, I’m a sucker for anything that helps the environment AND saves me money, so when I walked by the Diva Cup in a grocery store, I figured, “what the hell,” and went for it.
And then…. I forgot about it.  It sat in its box under my sink for at least a month.  My period came and was about to go when I remembered that purchase.  Opening the package was easy.  The cup itself was there along with a small drawstring pouch to keep it in, and a slip of instructions complete with easy to follow diagrams.

 I found that I was excited to try out this new-age product for the modern woman.  I congratulated myself on my willingness to try something new as I boiled the silicone cup (I am paranoid about what I stick up there).  I smiled as I read the directions, knowing how I was about to help the environment.  I continued to smile as I followed them step by step: putting the cup in an origami fold, finding the opening, and pushing it into place.  My smile was gone by the last step.  I pushed harder.  At this point I was still hopeful.  I refolded and tried again.  That darn cup would not go up inside me.  When I finally wedged it up near my cervix, it would not unfold.  The directions stressed the importance of turned the cup 260 degrees so that the cup could fully expand.  It refused to turn.  Deciding it would probably just adjust itself as I walked, I pulled up my pants and walked around the house.  Have you ever had a small balloon in your lady parts?  Me neither, but I imagine that is what it would feel like.  I blamed it all on my weird vagina.  Defeated, I removed the cup and decided it wasn’t for me.
Periods come and go and I haven't thought much about my cup.  It sits patiently next to my makeup bag and other unused items in my bathroom drawer.   Then the faithful day hit.  A clusterfuck of events ensued all leading me back to my Diva Cup: first day back to school, running late because of child, period starts, I only have one pad.  Yikes!  I was desperate, so I took my Diva Cup in the shower with me, cleaned it, and (roughly) shoved it in my vagina.  

Maybe it was the fact that I was no longer being gentle or maybe the blood lubricated me a bit better this time, but it went in!  
The whole day I went without a single leak.  I kept that one pad on and changed emptied the cup much more than needed, but I certainly didn't have to.  
Finally I was able to congratulate myself on my ability to shove a silicone cup up my hooha. 

Review 

The Good
Once I figured out how to use it, I LOVED the Diva Cup.  For one, if it's in right you don't have to worry about it.  Not only do you not feel it but it can be left alone for up to 12 hours.  Assuming you are not cramping, you may forget your are having your period.  

One big factor for me was the fact that it has never leaked.  Not once.  I can go without a security pad.  The freedom!

Also, between emptying it, all you need to do is rinse it in warm/hot water.  How easy is that?

The Bad
Watch for the smell.  It is kinda like rotten eggs but also like garbage.  The smell is not pleasant. The smell happens if you don't clean the cup properly (so it's really my fault).  There are specific soaps that are allowed once you are done with your cup for the month (or about to start again).  Do NOT use scented soaps or just anything you have lying around your house.  This is a bit of a hassle at first, especially if you purchase the cup without prior knowledge.  

A mechanics issue arises when you have to empty your cup in a public bathroom.  Do you walk out of the stall with clenched legs to rinse it off?  I hope not.   I solved this problem by avoiding it, but I know some ladies who carry a squirt bottle in their bags.

My other complaint was stated above.  It does take a while to figure out how to use it.  It doesn't seem natural to shove folded silicone into your vagina (unless it does for you, in which case no judgement).  The folding and then twisting takes practice.  I suggest pushing it up farther than you think it should go and then baring down to move it to your hand for the twist motion.  

Do I Recommend It?
YES!  Do you know how much money I've saved?  Do you know how great it feels to not wear a leaky tampon or a wet pad?  The awkward first day was worth it.  
If you have the patience and a period, I suggest running out to the nearest "natural" store and purchasing one.  I'm wearing it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment